BEST FOR KAYAK
Rad Sportz 1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage
Rad Sportz 1003 Kayak Lift Hoist For Garage
BEST FOR BIKE
RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist Garage Storage
RAD Cycle Bike and Ladder Lift
HARKEN Cargo Box Garage Storage Hoist
It’s natural to feel that you don’t have enough space in your garage for all your items.
When it comes to your kayak or bike, it can be tricky to be able to store them so that they’re out of the way. That’s why a garage hoist can be highly useful to save space.
Can you use a garage hoist for various items?
There are many uses for garage hoists, such as lifting your kayak, bike, ladders, and other items in the home that take up floor space.
So, with that in mind, let’s check out the best garage hoist for your bike or kayak. We’ll also feature four alternatives to help you choose the safest and most user-friendly one for your needs and garage dimensions.
Best Garage Hoist – Reviews For 2021
- Rad Sportz 1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage
- Rad Sportz 1003 Kayak Lift Hoist For Garage
- RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist Garage Storage
- RAD Cycle Bike and Ladder Lift
- HARKEN Cargo Box Garage Storage Hoist
Best For Kayaks: RAD Sportz 1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage
This is a practical and safe hoist to store your kayak. Let’s see why it’s the best garage hoist on our list.
- Durable straps
- Safety locks
- This kayak hoist comes with hooks that are coated with rubber so that they prevent scratches.
- It makes use of strong, durable straps so that your kayak won’t fall and get damaged.
- The last thing you need is to spend lots of time trying to install your kayak hoist, but this one is really easy to do. It mounts to your ceiling joist or rafter.
- This hoist can lift kayaks that are up to 125 pounds.
- It mounts to the ceiling, so it helps to free up space on your garage floor for other equipment or items that you need to keep indoors.
- The kayak hoist comes with safety locks that prevent the kayak from being released unintentionally. This is especially important if you’ve got other items or your car parked underneath the kayak as it will prevent accidents from occurring.
- It’s suitable for ceilings that are up to 12 feet in height.
- Some people who have purchased this kayak garage hoist have reported that the supplied rope was soft and susceptible to abrasion.
- Others have reported that the instructions provided with the garage hoist were not clear or easy to understand. This could especially be problematic if you’re installing a garage hoist for the first time.
- You get two hoists in a pack, and what’s great about this is that they’re versatile. You can use these for more than your kayak – use them to hang your canoe, bike, or even ladder.
This pack of two hoists cost $34.39. It’s focused on giving you an easy and versatile way to store your kayak as well as other items in the garage so that they can be protected from the elements and give you extra space.
Runner Up: Rad Sportz 1003 Kayak Lift Hoist For Garage
This lift hoist is similar to the previous product, but it does have some important differences to know about, such as when it comes to its price. Here’s everything you need to know.
- Safety locking mechanism
- Rubber coatings on hooks
- This hoist’s hooks have rubber coatings so that they are protected against scratches.
- Its straps are high-quality and engineered to be strong so that you don’t have to waste money on delicate hooks that don’t have a lot of weight capacity.
- This hoist can handle items that are up to 125 pounds in weight.
- Just like with the previous product we featured, this hoist can be used on ceilings that are up to 12 feet in height.
- It comes with a safety locking mechanism to prevent accidental release which can be dangerous to people within the vicinity and can cause damage to other items, like your car that you park underneath your canoe.
- People who have purchased this hoist have complained about the company’s poor customer service.
- Others have reported that the locking mechanism is difficult to use and when you lower the kayak on this hoist it can be difficult to ensure that it remains level.
- Others have said that they required a mounting board to install this hoist, which is not included in the purchase.
- It’s cheaper than the previous product we featured in this buying guide.
How much does it cost? This kayak and canoe lift hoist costs $24.46. It’s a cost-effective product that has great features, but it might not be for beginners, such as due to the fact that it can be a little complicated to set up.
Best For Bikes: RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist Garage Storage
This bike lift will ensure you keep your bike safe and out of the way. Here’s why it’s worth purchasing.
- RAD exclusive rope
- Locking system
- It has rubber-coated hooks so that your valuable bike won’t get scuffed and scratched.
- It has a decent weight capacity of 100 pounds.
- Just like with the kayak hoists we’ve featured in our buying guide, this hoist can be attached to ceilings that are up to 12 feet high.
- Two hoists are included in the pack, and these can be used for a variety of items, such as bikes, storage nets, and benches.
- These hoists come with RAD Cycles exclusive rope. This is thick rope that is resistant to fraying, which makes it much more durable as well as safer for storing your bike in the garage than regular rope.
- Some people who purchased these hoists reported that the ropes left a tint on their hands.
- You have to thread the rope through the locking system, but some people who purchased these hoists reported that the instructions included weren’t clear on how to do this.
- The screws that are provided in the pack are not strong enough, and several reviews on Amazon mention this.
- This hoist makes use of latches and smooth pulleys so you don’t have to feel the pressure of trying to lift a heavy bike.
- The rope has a locking system in place so you don’t have to worry about it being released accidentally and hurting someone.
This bike hoist for your garage costs $28.32 for a pack of two, so it’s certainly value for money. It will get the job done with ease so you can get on with other tasks.
Runner Up: RAD Cycle Bike and Ladder Lift
Some garage hoists for bikes and other equipment require mounting boards, but this one doesn’t. That’s just one of the reasons why it’s so convenient. Let’s check out its other features.
- Heavy-grade aluminum
- Easy-to-use mount rail
- This hoist has a weight capacity of 75 pounds, so it’s got more than enough capacity.
- It comes with an easy mount rail that enables you to install it to your ceiling joist directly. You don’t need to purchase a mounting board separately, therefore saving you money.
- It has a locking mechanism to keep it – and you – safe.
- It’s really easy to use, thanks to how the rail mount system is adjustable and can lift and lower your bike easily.
- You can mount the system in a horizontal or vertical position to the ceiling joists, which makes it much more versatile. This is a feature you won’t find on many other hoists.
- There is spacing between the hooks which makes the system adjustable. It also means the same hoist can be used for bikes of different sizes.
- The hoist is constructed out of heavy-grade aluminum so it’s durable and won’t rust.
- People who purchased this bike hoist reported that the screws provided in the pack were not of a good quality and had to be replaced for stronger ones.
- Just like with other garage hoists we’ve featured in these reviews, this one comes with rubber hooks so you don’t have to worry about your items getting damaged.
- You can use this for storing your bikes and ladders, which makes it very practical.
This bike hoist costs $33.70. It’s easy on the wallet and easy to use, filled with lots of features that set it apart from other kayak and bike hoists on the market.
Alternative: HARKEN Cargo Box Garage Storage Hoist
If you’re looking for a garage hoist that can handle more weight, this one by Harken is worth checking out.
- Four-point hoist kit
- Self-locking mechanism
- This produce is made in the USA and has been designed to accommodate 145 pounds of weight. It can also be used for ceilings that are up to 10 meters high.
- It’s been designed so that one person can use it.
- It’s a four-point hoist kit that has all the instructions you need to install it quickly and easily.
- It has self-locking cleat grips so that if the rope gets released by accident, they will work immediately to keep you safe.
- This hoist is made out of stainless steel. It’s got a double-braid rope for extra strength.
- It’s perfect for when you’ve transported your bike or kayak on your car’s rooftop and want to unload it in your garage.
- Some people who purchased this hoist reported that it takes a while to set it up. It’s not beginner friendly, so you should only invest in this product if you’re good with DIY.
- People who have purchased this hoist have reported that the user manual is extremely detailed and easy to follow, which makes installation a little easier.
This hoist is a little more complicated, but if you’re good with DIY and don’t mind learning as you go along this will definitely not disappoint you. It costs $145.99 but it makes storing items in your garage much more convenient.
Garage Hoist FAQ
We’ve already looked at five of the best garage hoist products you can purchase right now from Amazon, but before you go ahead and add one of them to your cart make sure you read these frequently asked questions about garage hoists so you can see if they’re worth it.
Can I put a hoist in my garage?
Generally, your garage should be able to accommodate a hoist. Standard ceiling joists will be able to support about 50 pounds of weight per square foot. If you have trusses or your garage was constructed a long time ago, this amount could be a lot lower.
The height of your garage ceiling also matters. As we’ve seen in this buying guide of the best garage hoist reviews, different hoists are designed for ceilings of different heights so it’s essential that your garage has the height to accommodate the hoist you want to use on it. Always check the product’s specifications!
It’s important to ensure that your garage ceiling has solid joints to which you could secure the kayak or bike hoist. Some hoists will state that you need to attach them to solid wood hoists and the hoists will have to be a certain measurement, such as 2 inches by 4 inches in size.
Finally, you need to ensure that you have enough wall clearance for the hoist and object it will be supporting.
Measure your kayak and when you’ve found a spot in the garage that can accommodate that size, be sure to add about five or more inches to it so that there will be enough space around it. Don’t forget to check that there’s enough space for your garage doors to open and close.
How do you hang a garage hoist?
If you have a bike or kayak hoist that you want to install in your garage, it’s actually really easy to hang it up. While the instructions will vary from one manufacturer to another, there are some general tips to consider.
- You’ll have to determine the correct distance between the straps of the kayak hoist. This will obviously depend on the kayak you want to hoist. You should have less space between the straps if your kayak is short, while more space is ideal for longer kayaks. This is important to ensure that your kayak will be balanced.
- Some kayak hoists will require you to mount the hoist onto a mounting board and sometimes these are not included with the hoist, so that’s something to check before you purchase it. You’ll need to attach the kayak hoist to the mounting board before it gets attached to the ceiling joist.
- Use the wood screws that are provided with the hoist to attach the mounting brackets to the mounting board.
- Make a mark in the center of the board and the center point on the ceiling where the hoist will go. You will then attach the hoist and board to the ceiling with lag bolts. Just ensure that the lag bolt is centered on the joist. Sometimes the lag bolts won’t be included with your kayak hoist, so you might require a trip to the hardware store!
- Once you’ve got your brackets and mounting board on the ceiling, you’ll have to thread the rope through the hoist pulley system. Thread the rope through the brake device and follow the route of the thread. How you do this will vary from one manufacturer to another so always read the instruction manual.
How do I build a garage ceiling hoist?
If you’re good at DIY and love a bit of a challenge, you can make your own ceiling hoist with this simple tutorial via Hunker.
Items you’ll need:
- Drill and bit
- Screw-in hooks
- Find two cross beams on your ceiling that are strong enough for you to install two screw-in hooks.
- With your drill, make a pilot hole in the beams – you should use a drill bit that’s a bit smaller than the size of your hooks.
- Install the hooks into the ceiling so that they’re flush with its surface. You might need pliers for this one.
- Now you’ll need to hang a single pulley on one hook and your double pulley on the other one.
- Take small-diameter rope and thread its end through one side of the double pulley. Pull it down so you’re able to reach it.
- Then, push the rope through the single pulley. You want the eye on the top of the pulley to be on the bottom so you can attach a carabiner to the eye.
- The end of the rope should then be pulled up and through your double pulley, then pulled across to the single pulley.
- You basically want to feed the rope through the single pulley that’s suspended from the hook. You’ll need to ensure you have about a foot’s worth of rope that you can pull down past the pulley.
- Create a loop with the rope a few inches from its end and tie a simple overhand knot to ensure that the loop is fastened. You will then attach the carabiner to this loop.
- Now you can go ahead and attach your carabiner to your kayak or bike.
- Once that’s done, you can pull the rope through the pulley hoist to lift the object.
Why should you opt for an electric hoist?
There are many benefits of choosing an electric hoist. These include the following:
- If you need to lift heavy or awkwardly-shaped objects, an electric hoist will be able to do it quickly.
- It prevents you from having to use your physical strength to move the objects yourself. This is especially useful if the items you want to move are heavy or you’re not fit.
- It allows you to move objects vertically as well as horizontally. This is important because some hoists will only enable you to move them vertically. By using an electric hoist, you won’t have to make use of more than one machine in order to move your load in the way you want.
- It produces less noise as compared to other types of hoists, such as manual and hydraulic hoists.
If you own a kayak or bike you want to keep out of the way, installing a hoist in the garage can be the perfect solution to save you space and keep your possessions stored safely.
In this article, we’ve looked at the best garage hoist for your bike or kayak, along with four alternatives.
We’ve also featured some important information you need about garage hoists and have even included tips on how you can make one yourself if you’d prefer to go the DIY route and you’re good with your hands.
Nathan Bradley spent most of his time with his father in the garage. Bonding over woodworking, mechanical repair, and organizing the tool wall for his dad (because it was always a mess), Nathan became a professional garage renovator. From detached garages turned into inlaw suites, outdated garages into music studios, and everything in between, he’s seen a thousand ways to flip a garage, organize it, and put it to good use.
Garage Insulation: A Complete Guide
How To Install Garage Trench Drain
How To Transform Your Garage To Man Cave
Hanging a Kayak in a Garage - Cheap and Easy! - DIY - YouTube
Kayak Hoist and how to install it - YouTube
Hanging it is a great way to keep it safe and clean. The easiest way to do this is by screwing a hanger to the support beams in the garage wall. It will allow you to stand the kayak up in an out of the way spot. If you don't have room for a wall hanger, suspend the kayak from the ceiling instead.
How to Build A Kayak Hoist In Your Garage - YouTube
Building a Kayak Rack - Yak Rak!! - YouTube
Homemade PVC kayak loader - YouTube
The best way to store you Kayak or Canoe - YouTube
Secure Kayak Wall Rack | StoreYourBoard - YouTube
Upside down is the smartest choice to avoid dents. On its side: Again, when storing a kayak on storage bars, be careful which way you orient it. If you rest the kayak on its side, you risk denting the side that's laying on the bars. Remember that storing the kayak upside down is your best option.
Rotomolded kayaks can be transported on their edge or upside down (hull up) safely using kayak stackers. However, composite kayaks should always be transported on their bottom using cradles to prevent deformation.
Where to store your kayak: Keeping it indoors offers the best protection, but that's not always practical. Outdoors is suitable, so long as the boat is protected from sun and weather.
Garage Ceiling Storage --- DIY electric retractable pulley system - YouTube
How To Anchor Your Kayak Using A Trolley System - YouTube
How to Make a Kayak Cart out of PVC | CHEAP - YouTube
Garage Ceiling Storage --- DIY electric retractable pulley system - YouTube
How to Build a Canoe Hoist Storage System in a Garage - YouTube
How to Make a Kayak Cart out of PVC | CHEAP - YouTube
Secure Kayak Wall Rack | StoreYourBoard - YouTube
RankPictureNameRatingShop#1 BEST FOR KAYAKRad Sportz 1004 Kayak Hoist Garage Storage CHECK PRICE #2 Rad Sportz 1003 Kayak Lift Hoist For Garage CHECK PRICE #3 BEST FOR BIKERAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist Garage Storage CHECK PRICE #4 RAD Cycle Bike and Ladder Lift CHECK PRICE #5 HARKEN Carg...
Can you use a garage hoist for various items?. So, with that in mind, let’s check out the best garage hoist for your bike or kayak.. Others have said that they required a mounting board to install this hoist, which is not included in the purchase.. Extra Features It’s cheaper than the previous product we featured in this buying guide.. This bike lift will ensure you keep your bike safe and out of the way.. Just like with the kayak hoists we’ve featured in our buying guide, this hoist can be attached to ceilings that are up to 12 feet high.. You have to thread the rope through the locking system, but some people who purchased these hoists reported that the instructions included weren’t clear on how to do this.. Extra Features Just like with other garage hoists we’ve featured in these reviews, this one comes with rubber hooks so you don’t have to worry about your items getting damaged.. Benefits This produce is made in the USA and has been designed to accommodate 145 pounds of weight.. It costs $145.99 but it makes storing items in your garage much more convenient.. As we’ve seen in this buying guide of the best garage hoist reviews, different hoists are designed for ceilings of different heights so it’s essential that your garage has the height to accommodate the hoist you want to use on it.. If you have a bike or kayak hoist that you want to install in your garage, it’s actually really easy to hang it up.. You’ll need to attach the kayak hoist to the mounting board before it gets attached to the ceiling joist.. Once you’ve got your brackets and mounting board on the ceiling, you’ll have to thread the rope through the hoist pulley system.. Once that’s done, you can pull the rope through the pulley hoist to lift the object.
A garage pit can help you inspect your car without having to lift it. But should you install one?
Want to install a garage pit or garage lift in your garage?. A garage pit is a hole that’s made in the garage floor that you can use to study the underside of your car and have it serviced.. By comparison, a garage lift is a structure that’s used to lift your vehicle in your garage so you can work on it, therefore it makes use of that precious vertical space in your garage that so often goes to waste.. Once installed, a garage pit makes it really easy to inspect and work on your car because you can simply walk right underneath it without having to use a lift, whether electrically or manually.. A garage pit can be safer than a lift because you’re not lifting your car up into the air.. Vehicle pits can be an alternative to lifts if you don’t have enough height in your garage to install a lift.. Although a garage pit is considered to make inspecting the underside of your car easier, it can make actual work on your car difficult, especially if you need to make use of tools .. There’s always the danger of falling into the pit, which is why you’ll need to ensure the pit is covered and visible, such as with the use of pit lighting.. Due to the risks involved with garage pits, such as the toxic fumes that are released by vehicles, garage pits are not always legal to have on your property.. Maybe garage pits are just too complicated and filled with controversy, so you’d rather want to skip them and choose to have a garage lift in your garage instead.. This is probably for the best – garage lifts can often be installed in any garage, although you do need to check what the rules and regulations are for lifts in your state.. Different car lifts will have different depth requirements, so make sure you check the user manual of that specific lift to ensure that it matches up with its lifting capacity.. If you’re having the car lift installed by professionals, you’re looking at paying $500 for a two-post car lift and almost double for a four-post car lift.. When you want to work on your car at home, you might be tempted to install a garage pit or garage lift to make your work much easier.. In this article, we’ve looked at everything you need to know about garage pits and lifts so you can choose the one that works best for your garage workshop.
Garage insulation is a must – here’s how to do it yourself instead of calling the pros.
Rockwool is a type of insulation that’s easy to install and comes in batts.. Instead of rockwool, you might consider insulating your garage with cotton batts.. Loose-fitting cellulose is dry so it’s usually applied in the form of dense cellulose bales that are put into an insulation blower.. The cellulose insulation is basically blown into the walls or attic via long tubes and then the cellulose settles over time.. When you want to insulate your garage door, it’s important to take the garage door material into account.. If your door is made out of wood, you’ll need to fit hard insulation into the recesses between the frames.. If your garage door is flat, reflective insulation or foam board are suitable and easy to apply.. If you’re using fiberglass or foam insulation, you’ll need to staple it to the side of the wall stud.. If you want to insulate your garage, you’ll have to do more than just insulate its ceiling or garage door .
Need a garage HVAC system – and should you install one? Here’s what you need to know.
This is because cooling the garage can help to cool other areas of the home.. Your garage gets very cold in the winter and then hot in the summer, so an HVAC system that has heating and cooling features will help to regulate the temp.. This type of system can cool or heat certain areas of your home, so it’s useful if you want to use the HVAC on a some areas but not all.. The benefit of this AC system is that you can cool your home if you don’t have a window in your garage.. They basically contain indoor fan coil units as well as outdoor condenser units to help to cool down the air.. This is because the air conditioner will be able to work faster and make the space much more comfortable.. If you don’t take your garage size into consideration and opt for an air conditioner that offers loads of BTUs, this could cause the unit to cool your air too quickly and then cycle off before cycling again very quickly.. The most important rule is to make sure you install your air conditioner in an area of the garage where it’s most required.. Installing an HVAC system in your garage is a good idea, as long as you’re not trying to run an AC in extremely cold temperatures.
The best butane torch for your garage is worth purchasing for its versatility.
Buying Advice This butane torch comes with all the accessories you need to get your work done faster and has many safety features available so it’s perfect for beginners.. Buying Advice This pretty, sleek, and stylish rose gold butane torch is a must for you if you want to use it in a variety of applications, such as for jewelry making or making your desserts look restaurant-quality.. You can use any type of butane gas to fill this torch and it’s really easy to refill it, which makes it highly practical.. Buying Advice If you want a butane torch for the kitchen, this culinary one is worth purchasing, mainly as a result of its professional features.. If you’re not sure if you should purchase a butane torch or propane torch, you’ll have to consider how hot they each get.. This doesn’t mean that propane torches are better.. However, when it comes to butane and propane gas, it’s important to note that although propane creates more heat than butane, butane liquefies easier.. Having a butane torch is a must for the home as it can come in handy for a variety of applications, whether you want to use it in the kitchen, when making jewelry, or when you want to do some soldering in your garage workshop.
Cheap Car Spares in Market Drayton For Every UK Car available in the UK These developments underscore the overall necessity to address older car...
There are already car parts market kuntsevo slew of online parts sales and servicing platforms.. Digital-driven products and services, on the other car parts market kuntsevo, are establishing a new trend and will be the primary growth drivers for the market over the projection period.. Newmarket participants are entering this arena with digitally-linked business strategies to car parts market kuntsevo on market opportunities.. Europe Automotive Aftermarket Market Restraints As car parts market kuntsevo progresses, vehicles become more integrated with sensors, resulting in better driving behaviour and reduced wear and tear on brakes and other vehicle components.. This car parts market kuntsevo component replacement difficult, and the automotive aftermarket’s expansion is hampered as a result.. The market is being propelled forward car parts market kuntsevo rising disposable income in developing countries, as well as a shift in customer car parts market kuntsevo for appealing and aesthetic vehicle design.. Inthe retail segment dominated the market in terms of size, accounting for In terms of size, the retail segment is predicted to dominate the market by The wholesale and distribution category is predicted to grow car parts market kuntsevo a moderately rapid rate in terms of revenue from – Automotive aftermarket economies are essential components of the overall automotive production and maintenance scheme, as automotive components must be replaced regularly to maintain the vehicle’s overall performance.. ROLF approached Kwik Fit, which runs more than 1, drive-in service stations throughout Britain and Europe, and the new brand was launched as a franchise model car parts market kuntsevo the end of By the end of the first year, there were 70 franchised stations in 43 car parts market kuntsevo working under the chain’s red-and-white logo.. Besides, generic parts might be cheaper, but you have to replace car parts market kuntsevo four times as often, he added.. White Service says the market is too unknowable to set a target market share, but plans to open service centers in European Russia and as far east as the central Siberian city of Krasnoyarsk by the car parts market kuntsevo of Price Differential White Service promises to deliver at an average of 50 percent cheaper than an official dealership.
The purpose of the series is to provide comprehensive expository and critical surveys of the work of major philosophers. One aim of the series is to dispel the intimidation such readers often feel when faced with the work of a difficult and challenging thinker. Martin Heidegger is now widely recogni...
Although there are several accessible introductions to Heidegger, focused on Being and Time (1927), this first such work on Heidegger’s poetics and literary theory, which almost entirely postdate that work.. In Being and Time Heidegger gives an account of the distinctive features of human existence, in an attempt to answer the question of the meaning of being.. This question of “ontology” (the study of being), rather than questions regarding the “o ntic” relations between particular beings, is what primarily interests Heidegger.. Heidegger opens his Introduction with a quotation from Plato which serves to substantiate the general thesis that the question of the meaning of being has passed into oblivion, is no longer addressed, or worse, is addressed in such a way that it conceals rather than reveals the true import of the question.. The crucial question of the correct mode of access then gets answered in terms of the claim that Dasein is itself that very being whose mode of being must first be investigated if there is to be anything like a satisfactory approach to the meaning of being in general, and this because it is Dasein , and Dasein alone, which is capable of raising such a question.
Last Updated on August, 2022Are shock collars something decorative a dog wears or is it something that strangles a dog to death in the long run? To know further, let’s take a peek at this article.Here are the 3 key points from this article:Shock collars are used to modify a dog’s behavior, usually b...
Shock collars are used to modify a dog’s behavior, usually by delivering a vibration or shock when the dog misbehaves.. Shock collars come in different sizes and lengths, and it is important to find a collar that fits the dog properly in order to avoid any damage to the dog’s neck.. It is also important to change the position of the collar every few hours to avoid irritation.. Dog’s Neck And Shock Collars. How to Fit An E-Collar?. How do I know if my dog’s shock collar is too tight?. When buying an e-collar, you should look at age, size, and tightness level.. To find contact points, you should ensure it doesn’t slide to the lower side of the neck.. The dog gets hurt when the skin makes proper contact while touching the collar.. If the dog doesn’t have skin issues, then the optimum time to wear the shock collar is about 8-10 hours.. Ensure that the collar’s position is changed every few hours to avoid irritation and constant pressure.. Switching sides every few hours is required to ensure the skin doesn’t get damaged: while doing it, make sure that the collar contact points touch the skin.. Use a training collar for a lesser time if it is a puppy; start with the lowest level possible.. While not all shock collars are harmful, some can cause physical pain or injury to a dog.